Friday, October 25, 2013

Campus pastor announces retirement

12:56 AM

Mallory Black
Staff Writer

Dale Schrag, director of church relations and campus pastor, announced his retirement during Fall Fest on Oct. 4. 

Schrag has been a fixture on Bethel College’s campus for 35 years. He first came to Bethel as a student and graduated in 1969.

In 1982, the president of Bethel wanted Schrag to be the director of admissions.

Schrag’s wife knew he did not have the right personality to be the director of admissions, so he could not sign the contract.

Two years later, Schrag got offered the position as director of libraries, a job well suited for him.
Professor of Bible and Religion Patricia Shelly got Schrag first involved in campus ministries. 

Schrag said, “The campus ministries involvement began I think in the fall of 1985 when Patty Shelly came to teach Bible and religion and serve as campus pastor.  She put together a chapel planning committee and asked me to serve on it.  I’ve been involved ever since.”

Schrag also became convocation coordinator in the fall of 2003. He served as coordinator until spring 2011.

Along with his role in campus ministries, Scharg currently serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet.

Schrag decided to step down from his current position because he wanted to spend more time with family.

“It is time to devote my time and my energy to my wife and family. I feel tired.” Schrag said. 
Schrag has seven grandkids, and he is looking forward to spending more time with them.

Beyond spending time with family, Schrag is uncertain what else will occupy his time during retirement. “I have absolutely no idea!” he said.

Despite Schrag’s retirement, he will miss Bethel students. 

“I am really going to miss seeing the growth, change, and development of the students from their freshman year to when they are seniors,” said Schrag. “The change they go through is almost miraculous!”

Even after he retires, Schrag still plans on being involved with Bethel. He has not yet decided  how he will be involved and plans to play it by ear.

0 comments:

© 2013 The Bethel Collegian. All rights reserved. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top